Zulily asked me to pick my top five newborn supplies for baby and mom from their “Welcome Baby” sale.
I’ve never had a newborn of my own.
I was pregnant for a short time and had an early miscarriage, then I adopted a nine-year-old.
So what qualifies me to pick newborn gear?
I have a master’s degree in early childhood education with an emphasis on infant and toddler development (in addition to a focus on special needs). I’ve been babysitting since I was in middle school. I’ve worked as a nanny, preschool teacher, childcare center director, parent advocate and college professor (teaching childcare workers).
I’ve worked with hundreds of babies and their parents!
Before I started writing from home for a living, Princess would explain to people that her mom “takes care of babies and teaches other people to do a good job at it, too” for a living.
I know babies.
Here’s my top 5 newborn supplies list:
1. Hooded towel - A wet baby is a slippery baby! Wrap the little one up in this and they’ll be easier to hold, warm, snugly and oh, so adorable!
2. Gowns – Newborns need to be changed – a LOT. Gowns make it easy – no snaps or zippers to mess with.
3. Shopping cart cover – Shopping carts are covered with germs. Don’t set your baby down in that unprotected! Washable covers keep baby comfortable and cut down on exposure to yuckies.
4. Clothes that are nursing friendly. I had a lot of mommies run over to the childcare center on their lunch break to nurse. Bras and clothes that make this easy keep mom and baby from getting frustrated!
5. At least a couple of totally frivolous, super cute baby items. I mean, don’t they just make you smile?!
What newborn essentials would make your list?